Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Bokuto ni yoru kendo kihon

I wonder if this series of technique is another example of teaching "the Japanese way" with little respect for foreign teaching methods (see below). We've been practicing this for while but with a twist. Never going beyond Sandan waza, we'd instead explore all variations in footwork to achieve men. For example, too-ma, shika-ma, men-men, kote-men, kote-men-men. Since almost everyone's a beginner I don't understand the purpose of teaching harai, hiki, suriage, nuki, ... So until I have a good chat with a sensei who really knows what's behind those kata I won't show the Oji/Shikake waza, too confusing in my mind for beginners already having a hard time with Ippon Men.

We're already having enough trouble teaching the basics to beginners who want to fling their sword in the air like Jet Li, that shoing them harai or kaeshi will only satisfy their craving and next thing you know they'll spend their time doing only that. (By "we" I don't mean my group but all the western dojos I know). I remember a few months ago when I was still showing only Men (no Kote or Do, far less kaeshi...) to K and the guys, and when he saw me and E (from London) go at it and E always doing nuki do or kaeshi do, he started doing the same. Without ever having been taught! Unfortunately he was doing it all wrong, but it showed me that they'll grab onto any cool new technique they see.

The risk is certain. First, a beginner is not skilled enough to read through his opponent's mind to do or even understand debana or even suriage. So they'll rely on kaeshi do a lot. Then they will start thinking mostly in terms of receiving, then blocking the attack. This is the big risk: that they'll become used to "block and attack", forgetting the only thing a beginner should do during keiko, that is mindless abandonment (sutemi). Until I get proof that the risk isn't as high as I think I won't take the chance.

The Japanese teaching I refered to above is that I think the AJKF doesn't take into account non-Japanese when developing curriculum. In this case I don't understand why they included fancy techniques like described above without explaining why and how to make sure they are part of the more common (shinai) curriculum without the risk of generating a bunch samurai wannabes. Unless they introduced it without understanding the possible complications in a western dojo. See, things don't work the same way in Japan as elsewhere:
Tanaka sensei: "Practice men- kaeshi-do with bokken. But don't do it with a shinai until next year!".
Little Kotaro: "Hai !"

Johnny sensei:"Practice men- kaeshi-do with bokken. But don't do it with a shinai until next year!"
Bob: "Why not?" (Bob is in late 20s)