Monday, February 28, 2005

Disillusioned samurai wannabes

I find that in this country, where nobody's ever taught japanese swordfighting, there's an unusually high number of people of older age (say, above 30) wanting to learn. They've "always dreamed of one day learning more about samurai spirit + technique". I've been told that more than a few times. In past experiences it used to be kids reading manga or watching anime... Now it's grownup men and women telling me they want to learn more about the samurai and japanese culture. I guess it's also quite common in western countries, but here it's all the more remarkable, maybe because there are much less kids asking for the same.
Somehow I find it sad when they approach me with that in mind. Maybe because I know they'll drop out after a month, or maybe it's because the image of a grown up man in bad physical condition wanting to pursue the "way of the samurai" makes me sad. Eventually, they do drop out with the most fantastic excuses. That's sad too...

On a similar note, it's surprising to see the interest people have for martial arts and japanese "culture". Historically, there's relatively no connection with Japan, so all the info they get comes from TV, movies,... Yet, there's a deep curiosity for all things Japanese. I have to dig deeper to find out more.

Gotta go teach my Monday "bratty-snotty- filthy-rich-kids" class.