Friday, February 11, 2005

Other surprising practice today. Slow start but a big bunch eventually showed up. Beginners mostly. But it was good to review once more. A lot of basics this time. Sonkyo, rei-waza. Eventually had to give a speech about proper etiquette in dojo. I hate to do this but I felt I had to make a point...
In retrospect I think maybe the practice is too easy for them. They give me the feeling of "hanging out" when waiting in line. They should be exausted and savor every second of the pauses they have. Not chat with the boys on the sidelines. They should focus on the action, observe and learn... Man that bothers me like nothing else. I got so pissed when I saw some of them looking out the window at something while I was talking about something that I had to yell some crap at them like "if you're not interested, leave now". That cooled down the place... Explained later on after mokuso what was the point of my comment. 1- Follow the widely accepted rules and methods in place for centuries 2- Rules are also there for proper learning conditions and safety. Hopefully the message got through.