Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Beginners dilemma 2

I'm sure it isn't easy for them but it certainly isn't a a piece of cake for me either... It's just that I've always hated teaching beginners. Hmmm... Wrong career choice then? I always tried to pass on the newbies and handle the intermediate instead. It's so more fun to deal with the one who've already experienced the bogu and shiai.

So here I am now "stuck" with a bunch of greens... I'm constantly forcing myself to be nice and encouraging. It's so not me! But I see it as an investment. Honestly I didn't expect to be rewarded so soon. I'm very satisfied with everyone's progress so far. And with hardly any effort the group is growing nicely since last month. Let's hope the growth is sustained.
One of the reasons I can't handle beginners so well is that their behavior and attitude is so odd to me. I'm more relaxed about it now since I'm here but I used to freak out when they'd behave unlike how a beginner should:- humility- involvement- devotion- respect- enthusiasm- gratefullnessOf course, they can't be expected to know all that but still... A little humility never hurts. So far I'm satisfied with most everyone's attitude. The pompous, pretentious ones have disappeared. I'm more concerned with two things:
1- attendance. Granted, some come from very far away and some work long hours. But it's still no reason for a less than 50 percent attendance ratio for most of them. Nothing I feel I can do about this as it's really not a function of the class itself. It can't be anymore interesting than this and if it turns out to be different than they expected well I can't do anything about that either.

2- attitude in the dojo: that's probably something I should work on and the only thing I can really influence. Things like:- timeliness- cleanliness- order- reiho- intensityI feel I didn't do as much as I could've maybe because we were beginning and informal for the first few months. And I do have a laid back attitude in the dojo. Maybe more than is common elsewhere... I guess I can keep that attitude but crank up the level from the time class is supposed to start. The risk here is that they won't handle or accept it. They are Trinis after all, they play hard but it takes a while to get them there. I guess I have no choice though... Things need to stay in order... If a ranking sensei visited tomorrow, he wouln't be shocked but wouldn't be impressed either by the general form. But I expect better than that (and my teachers would expect more from me) so gotta get the whip out! On the other hand, technically the level is quite high considering our history.