Friday, January 14, 2005

Commitment

Disappointing class today. Expected all the guys to show up plus the beginners and a few visitors but only E and my wife ! Well that's not including the 2 guys who'd contacted me that did show up and a french guy who joined on the spot. I guess it was good then... But it's sad to see how easily the regulars can miss class:

  • Stomach ache
  • Stuck at work
  • No car insurance
  • Flu
  • Car trouble
  • Sudden job call
  • Husband out of house...

Funny to listen to the excuses when they call. Always very valid reasons but it shows how to them, Kendo is on par with stationary bicycle or church. An activity waiting to be dropped at the first sign of hardship. I understand the situation, it's just sad to see that the people that seem to be most interested (educated adults) are the ones that swap Kendo for a hairdresser appointment. On the other hand kids can get hooked more easily but these days, what kids can spend 2 hours in a class focusing on what the teacher's saying?
Until kids show up I guess I'm stuck with busy grown ups. As long as they pay their dues ...

Well it's not that bad... As long as I keep remembering that I'm doing this to spread the word and not to form (yet) fighters. Still, I thought these guys would be more intense about it... A couple of them are.