Tuesday, January 04, 2005

ISPS classes

The International School has included Kendo on the after-school
activity registration list for this semester. I spoke to the guy in
charge yesterday and he mentioned that registrations were still open
this week and activities start next week. He told me that out of 20
students registered so far, 2 chose Kendo. That's really good
considering there are > 10 activities on the list including BBall &
VBall. He's expecting around 10 will choose Kendo. I have experience
teaching kids so that won't be a problem. Long term, it would be nice
to have a solid Kendo program. These kids have money and could be good
Kendo material if well trained. The challenge is going to be to give a
real class to kids that might not be used to being pushed, and in an
environment that might not allow for "serious" training. Well, 10
classes per semester won't do much in the short term but looking at it
as an investment sure helps. The strategy is to:
1- spread the fact that Kendo exists in the country
2- get some kids to join the private classes in POS
3- develop my network of (rich & influential) parents

I have ideas on a curriculum; after 10 weeks they should know
kirikaeshi and have used the bogu once. I'm thinking of introducing
some aspect of Japanese. Maybe teach characters or something like
that... To make it also a bit intellectual :-) That might help grab
the attention at the beginning of class.

Depending on who shows up next week I'll tweak the plan a bit to make
it more or less physical. Gotta go get my shinais in order...