Thursday, January 20, 2005

Attention Deficit ?

Only 4 kids showed up to class yesterday, the coordinator didn't know why (all activities had low turnout). At least I know it wasn't me, he said that parents and kids only had good things to say about me and the class. Good then... What if they didn't like me or found the class too hard/strict ? Would I care ? (probably not) Would I take it personally ? (probably) It was nice anyway to be able to work with the 4 kids. Damn they're quick learners! Following the advice of my wife I pushed them hard for the first 20 mins. After that I had them in my palm. One of them is actually very good and has the head and attitude of a great kendo fighter. Unfortunately he lives far south of the island so it'll be difficult to have him join the dojo. On that note though, one of the parents approached me after class to see how her little boy was doing. "Fine" I said, honestly thinking he was one of the less un-focused ones "considering most of them lack attention so much". "Well, she said, he's ADD" !?! Now she wants to have her 2 other kids join my dojo. Is it because they're also ADD or because they're on their way, I wonder.


After class, I spoke to the coordinator and told me the anecdote. Just like me he thinks they are overly bombarded and stimulated and never get a chance to focus one a singular activity even for relatively short periods. It's a shame those parents seem so absent.