Saturday, January 22, 2005

Beginners' dilemma

Great class Friday. 4 beginners + K + E. Plus 2 more guys who handed in their registrations. They seemed to want to join on the spot, but they were 10-15 mins late for the class so I had them sit and watch. If I didn't have financial obligations (the rent) I'd force everyone to sit at least 2 classes before they join. That would eliminate the waste early on... I usually don't throw a newbie in the action right away on his first day. I have them do a lot if suriashi/tenouchi for as much as a class long before I integrate them in the group. But this time I felt like trying it. Gave him a 10 min primer before class. Started class and did a lot of suburi and suriashi. He hadn't practiced swings and almost no footwork so he had to learn quick. Not sure if the result was positive... He didn't show much progress after 2 hours, but maybe it would have been the same anyway. Maybe he's just not a natural. But it was a good experience and will try this again. I'll review basics for all this week so he can catch up and the others reinforce. I find that they don't get bored of these reviews and helps them solidify.

Once again it was a challenge to address all the levels present. I also want to make sure we suck all we can out of E while he's here. Sometimes I feel I slow down and become too casual, so it's nice to have him around keeping everyone on their toes.

Everyone seemed to enjoy the class: intense, varied, and something for everyone. I like to hear that... Sometimes I wonder if they realize I make the class as we go along.