Monday, April 11, 2005

Breaking things down

For each technique or kata I rarely ask them to focus on more than one or two aspects at a time. What is the advantage of doing that?
- they are more focused
- it makes it easier to present
- it gives us more things to do in 2 hours

I know a lot (most) MA instructor like to bark:
"use your left hand"
"you're too close"
"to the right"...
and on and on...
... Until the poor guy is completely confused, doesn't know what he eventually do right and feels ignorant.

I know how difficult Kendo is, with all the things you have to do at the same time, so I try to simplify as best as I can. For example, we might practice large men x 3. At first I'd tell them to focus on proper swing and kime, not to worry about speed or fumikomi. Then we'd add proper body position ("straight through") and maai, then speed and timing.

Or we might be practicing the dreaded kata #3. Depending on who's there at the time I might tell them not to worry so much about the tsuki deflections or even the complicated footwork, but instead to make sure their body is facing the opponent and the movement comes from the hips. Same with #1. Most people use their arms too much (from jodan to men) where the hit really comes from the hips.

I think breaking things down like this helps them put their focus on the most important items one at a time. It also makes for a very progressive class where we go from a basic step/movement and build it up to a whole technique. What I like to call a logical progression, one of my favorite topics. More on that later.