Thursday, March 31, 2005

Raising the intensity

Started yesterday to increase the intensity of the class, particularly by increasing the kiai, right at the beginning of the class. Until now, during suburi I'm mostly the one counting. I realized that it doesn't encourage them to take responsibility and develop their kiai. So now we all count to 10 one by one. This works wonders... now right at the beginning of the class they shout ! We did a lot of suburi, suriashi and general cardio work. I think they were quite tired after 45mins.

Then I had them work on maai, basically doing suriashi faster and faster on their own and with partner facing them.

Then, Men with the same partner, 4 times for a while, then kirikaeshi (only sayumen) on the lenght of the room.

Then K & I split the group and each had them repeat sayumen, since they couldn't receive properly.

Finally we had them attack Men on cue (I called "Men"), so they start developing their reflexes. Next exercise was kakari keiko after they had attacked 4 times after our cue.

Last exercise was multiple men attacks with one breath; first 3 men, then 5.

They were done after that. Well done I should say. I was thinking of a last hayasuburi or something, but I felt they had worked enough.