Thursday, March 10, 2005

Like in the old days

In a previous life I used to do Kendo a lot... In Montreal (that's 15 yrs ago) I did Kendo 3/4 times a week, often practicing until 10pm and back in the dojo at 10 the next morning. Granted, that's nothing like the gasshuku trainings in Japan but it brings some of the feeling back. Today was the same; we had a good practice last night and one this morning. Slightly different people but same feeling. 6 last night, 5 today, just how I like it. Very good energy (mostly towards the end unfortunately. Got to work on that...). Nice hard atmosphere with lots of kiai and movement. It wasn't so hard yesterday although one re-injured hiw right hand and Lesley almost fainted twice due to the cardio vasc. exercises, but today was a killer. Right in the middle of the day, is was so hot and little wind that I had to give 3 breaks in only one hour. Short breaks but breaks nonetheless. Did good keiko with K; having a harder than ever time beating him with a clean men. I find myself having to trick him more and more. Either he's improving faster than I thought or my seme is getting weaker.

Had a chat with him at the end about what I think is a problem he's developing: not committing enough to his attacks, rather counting on his shinai to open the way. If I deflect it as he prepares to attack, he's stumped and stops right there. His attacks are too focused on his arms and not enough on his hips and legs. Therefore, he doesn't commit his hips enough, which is directly related to his mental blockage. He needs to stop thinking so much about "what ifs" and start throwing himself with more abandon.