Friday, April 02, 2004

Trinidad Kendo update

Hi, for those of you with whom I have not had the chance to stay in close
touch with, let me give you a quick review of the recent events. I now live
in Trinidad with my wife Lesley and life is quite good. When you think of
it, it's hard to complain about >30 degrees C and sunshine everyday ;-)
Since there is no Kendo here and I was getting quite jittery, I started
teaching a bunch of Karate guys close to where I live. I've done a few
demonstrations so far and the reception was awesome. People are very amused
(by the kiai) and intrigued by the discipline and action. I think Kendo will
be very popular here. Unfortunately there are very very few Japanese living
here so the level will start very low (I'm not in a hurry...). I got in
touch with the Japanese Embassy and will meet them sometime next week to
discuss possible sponsorship or at least some kind of financial support for
bogu, shinai, location,...(the typical monthly salary here is less than
$500USD not enough to afford kendo equipement).

Now to the point of my email:

I thought it was necessary to have a name for where I give Kendo classes. I
will start advertising soon so I have been thinking of a "Dojo Name". Since
no one here knows about Kendo and everyone who has seen it so far is very
interested to learn more, I thought that the name should be refering to the
idea of NEW and FRESH. So I chose "Shoshin" Kendo Dojo (Sho from Hajime, and
Shin from heart). The Japanese-English Kendo Dictionary translates it as
"The pure, genuine enthusiasm when one first decides to do something". I
thought is was very simple and appropriate. And we use the term often
refering to Shoshin-sha, the beginners. And my wife likes the name, so what
else can I ask for ? Well, your opinion is as always, very valuable so
please feel free to give me your feedback.

Do you think that it makes sense ? (I'm especially asking the ones who
speak/read Japanese!) Send me your replies directly at
eddydevisse@h...

Thanks